Friday, January 18, 2013

The Butterflies of Callaway Gardens


DSCN5367
One of the main attractions of Callaway Gardens for me during a recent visit was the Butterfly Pavilion. The day was quite cold but inside of the glass conservatory the climate was quite tropical and the butterflies were delightful! Please don't ask me to identify these butterflies as I don't know what they are but enjoy!
DSCN5349
Outside of the pavilion proper were several hatching cubicles with many chrysalises inside. The chrysalises were all at varying degrees of hatching. While we stood there and watched several butterflies hatched out. It was INCREDIBLE!
DSCN5359

DSCN5362
Paper Kite Butterfly (thanks Randy) DSCN5371

DSCN5378

DSCN5383
These two butterflies were quite high up in a tree but were very prominent. They appear to be mating.
DSCN5384
This was a very large butterfly-probably about six inches long. It looks familiar but I don't know what kind it is. Does anyone know the names of the butterflies? If so, please leave a comment.
DSCN5374
Many of the butterflies appeared to be drawn to the windows, as was this one resting on the ledge...

in the garden...



Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

15 comments:

  1. These pictures are incredible!! The hatching cubicle is so interesting...how fun to see some of them hatch! I notice several of the butterflies are on Pentas. I had one in the garden last year and it did so well I'll get more this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, Lovely day you had! Some of the names Paper kite, postman, sara longwing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going into butterfly rooms. We went into one while in DC at the Smithsonian. I see some of the same type butterflies. But was not lucky enough to see them hatching. Wow, that must have been awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to put Calloway Gardens on my bucket list. We did see, a few years ago visiting the Grandchildre, a butterfly garden in the Denver area. Most interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!!!! Love it. That chrysalis case is really cool...love that you got to see some butterflies emerge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Przepiękne motyle i niesamowite miejsce w którym zyją. Pozdrawiam.
    Beautiful butterflies and amazing place in which they live. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating! The butterfly in the first photo is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing these with us, tina!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. iI think I miss the butterflies most of all in winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Callaway Gardens... 32 years ago, my then little family had such a sweet adventure there... we rented bicycles and spent the entire day riding through the gardens. I remember the Butterfly pavillion! We had such a wonderful day. We decided if we were blessed to have another boy, we would name him "Cason" after Cason Callaway. And we did! Such an unusual name... we've had fun telling people the story behind his name. Ironically, his personality is just perfect for the peace and joy we felt on that adventure. So glad I visited your post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Butterfly and flowers make good combition shot. Both so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to watch butterfly's. We do have some here but not like most places. There is a pavilion in G'ville for butterfly's. I sure would like to go. My gs went with his school some time back & he had a lot of fun. Thanks for taking us along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We don't have the variety of butterflies you have. I love the photo of all the different chrysalises. I would have loved to be there with you to watch them hatch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love butterflied too. Your images are gorgeous. I was wondering where you've been during your time offline.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to visit all those butterflies. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!